There are many web-based resources for oncology information—here are some staff favorites that contain a wealth of knowledge.
Fresno Area Resources
There are a variety of stores throughout the Fresno area that offer a wide range of products and services here are a few of our favorites:
- Sisterhood of Survivors is a Fresno-based non-profit organization committed to assisting newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and survivors. A breast cancer survivor member of the Sisterhood of Survivors delivers educational "totes" to the recently diagnosed, enabling survivors the opportunity to reach out to others as they begin treatment. SOS provides educational luncheons, volunteer opportunities, newsletters and most importantly support and friendship.
- The Power Of Pink - A Breast Cancer Care & Boutique offers a full line of breast cancer survivor products and gifts in the Fresno, CA area.
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Central Valley - Information about the breast cancer foundation, Race for the Cure, Songs for the Cure, and other events, committees, grants, and volunteer opportunities.
American Cancer Society - The official site of the American Cancer Society. Need we say more?
- Cancer Survivor Network - A vibrant community established by people just like you whose lives have been touched by cancer.
- Cancer Care - Cancer Care is a national non-profit organization whose mission is to provide free professional help to people with all cancers through counseling, education, information and referral and direct financial assistance.
- Web MD - The granddaddy of all medical information, with many resources and much information for cancer patients.
- CarePages - Many of our patients take advantage of CarePages, a way to share updates and receive support and encouragement from friends and family around the globe. It's easy, and it's free.
- Chemo Care - Chemotherapy and Beyond - Scott Hamilton's chemotherapy site offers the latest chemo information for cancer patients and their families, caregivers and friends. Outlines all you should know about chemotherapy and cancer treatment.
- National Cancer Institute - The official site of the National Cancer Institute with information on many forms of cancer and treatment.
- CANCER101 - Our mission is to empower cancer patients and their caregivers to take control over their diagnoses and engage them as active partners in their care, by arming them with a toolkit to navigate their cancer journey.
On the Lighter Side
- Gilda's Club - Inspired by Gilda Radner, one of the funniest women who ever lived. This site is a marvelous resource for emotional and social support for anyone touched by cancer. Their trademark is "Living with Cancer? Come as you are."
- Cancer Nutrition Center - An online source of information about nutrition and cancer.
- Andrew Weil, MD - A site about "integrative medicine" and "alternative therapies." Many of the recommendations are controversial, but this is one of the most responsible and comprehensive sources for information about issues that may complement traditional therapy. Written by an medical doctor.